Sunday, May 13, 2012

Work update


I have started working with WWF (Worldwide Fund for Nature aka World Wildlife Fund)-The Gambia office about four months ago. I would not lie, I was thrilled to be working with this well known ‘panda’ organization! Well, at the end it is not the name but the work that kicks me out of bed early in the mornings. I have been helping out with two projects: 1. protected areas management and conservation project, and 2. sustainable fisheries project. Basically I continue the work of the other two volunteers who completed their services. Fortunately another volunteer joined organization after me so we share the tasks of these two projects. The activities of the first one ceased early (in March instead of June) due to funding issues so further steps are to work on proposal(s), in other words to look for money for next project. What do I do under the second one? The name of the project is Baa Nafaa which means benefits of the sea/ocean in Mandinka. The project is funded by USAID through the University of Rhode Island (URI). The project has have executed so many different activities: strengthening/working together TRY women oyster harvesting association, preparing and launching sole fish and oyster fisheries co-management plans, doing different biological, socio economical and other studies on fish, fisheries, coastal communities and climate change. Basically the goal of the project is to establish/strengthen the sustainable management of fisheries and coastal resources. I got involved with the shoreline sanitation survey that we did at oyster harvesting sites. The survey is a step forward towards implementing National Shellfish Sanitation Program in The Gambia. Yes, I have tried oysters for the second time (the first one, raw one, I glaringly swallowed some time ago in Minneapolis). I am learning a lot about the oysters. Do you know that oysters have two sexes and can change sex one or more times in their life time? Fascinating!  Together with my co-worker, Gabis, we visit routinely oyster aquaculture and cockle study sites. We are expanding the cockle study to possibly develop the cockle co-management plan for Kartong community. I work with dedicated and fun group of people and I’ve been compiling the knowledge about fish, fisheries, and coastal and marine environments. Loving the unforeseen turns…

No comments:

Post a Comment