Friday, November 4, 2011

Trip to Portugal (part I)


Salaam aleikum my friends! Eh last month was filled with work and travels. Both of them were very exciting. Let’s first start with travels:) Last two weeks of October I spent in Portugal together with my family. I arrived to Lisbon in the morning and spend the day anxiously waiting for my parents' and my sister's arrival in the evening. It has been two years since I hugged them last time. Two weeks vacationing together was incredible!  We visited Lisbon, Sintra, Porto (Oporto), Duoro Valley, Fatima and Algarve region. I was fascinated with the beauty of this country in every place we visited.  The weather, except for a few days, was nice and warm – a relief from hot, humid and sticky Gambian weather in October. 
We (well, mostly my sister and my dad) took hundreds of pictures and i will post a link as soon as my sister uploads them online. Here are few of them below.

 Climbing the stairs to the rented apartment in Lisbon - quite a workout
The view from our apartment window. I really enjoyed playing with the clothing lines.

 The Portuguese tile work is amazing. I have not seen two houses covered in the same pattern tiles.

 The cute old tram/lift. We got to ride one of them - seemed like we traveled in time.

 Break in the botanical garden. My dad was having a five-minute nap.

 Lisbon view from one of the seven hills.

 My mom next to Castle of São Jorge with Lisbon in the background.

 Belem tower built in early 16th century. It played an important role in the Portuguese maritime discoveries

 Here we are...

 Confused...Metro was another fun adventure. My parent have not used it in few decades.

 Dining while listening to Fado in Alfama district (wik: in reality fado is simply a form of song which can be about anything, but must follow a certain structure. The music is usually linked to the Portugese word saudade which symbolizes the feeling of loss (a permanent, irreparable loss and its consequent life lasting damage).)

 In Porto port window shopping (varvinam seile)
 Porto from above.

 My favorite Portuguese food - pastries, pastries and more pastries:) 

 October 21st - mom's birthday.

 The bridge that connects Porto to Vila Nova de Gaia (port wine cellars).

The boats in which port wine used to be shipped from upriver (Douro valley) to Gaia.

 Impatiently approaching Taylor port wine cellar, where we met a women from Lithuania. She has been living in Portugal for 10 years and works for Taylor. We did a tour of one storage room and port wine tasting. However, we did not get to see a ghost - a man on the horse, that is a visitor there sometimes.

 Extraordinary tile work in Sao Bento train station.

 Visiting Douro valley (at Tua town)

Bridges across the Douro river next to Regua town.

No comments:

Post a Comment