Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Ramadan (September 1st)


This entry is way overdue but I still hope you will enjoy it.
It is different to know about Ramadan and to actually live in the community where almost everyone is fasting for a whole month. I am happy Ramadan is coming to an end!
I tried to fast as well to see what it is like, to understand what people are going through so at the end of the month the days I fasted aggregated to fifteen days - some with only water and some without water and without food. I bow my head for women and men who spend days working in the fields without a sip of water and a bite of food. Some people say that it is a pure torture and I agree but they are lead and inspired by the faith.

Friday, August 26th, was the prayer night when one should not sleep but spend the night praying and reflecting, listening to prayers and teachings that are broadcasted through mosques’ speakers (or radio) or just conversing with each other. Some people spend the night in mosques, some at their homes and some at relatives’ houses. My family stayed at home and, well, went to sleep later in the night. So some people choose not to follow it...

The Ramadan is over when one sees the moon so the Korite (end of Ramadan feast, Mandinka - Saloo) was going to happen on August 30th or 31st. It was unknown until Monday, August 29th. There is not much work happening during the week of the Korite. People are getting ready for the three/four day celebration. Women are getting new completos (clothes), having their hair done, buying new clothes for the children and cooking. The Banjul (government, state) decided to go by Saudi Arabia time and announced the end of the Ramadan on August 30th. However, some people chose to fast that day because they did not see the moon with their eyes. My family was ready to break fast according to Banjul so we have a regular breakfast and lunch. Everyone was relieved.
During Korite children are dressed up in their new clothes and they go from compound to compound collecting saliboo (Mandinka) – charity, which is usually small coins, candies and etc. Girls are wearing nice dresses, hair are nicely braded with beads. Sometimes even the youngest ones are wearing makeup (like my five-year old sister). My host moms spend part of the day preparing my host sisters for the saliboo. I refused to go to the village on those days – was not prepared to hear crowds of children screaming “toubaab”. I get enough toubaabed during the regular days. Before they left we had a fun doing photo-shoot, practicing to smile in the pictures instead of showing sad faces (common practice here).

  Me with Sima, Asi and Sona (behind is the door to my house).

  Asi and Sona

 Sona and Asi in saliboo completos

 Me with two of them.

  My host moms Juju and Sima together with Sona and Asi (on the porch).

I spend day with my family cooking, getting the girls ready for saliboo and just chilling in the compound. We did not dress up nicely and did not go to visit relatives, but had a relaxing time at home.

1 comment: