Friday, June 3, 2011

Garden update (June 3rd)


Few days ago I harvested the first cucumbers!! They were very, very tasty! The squash has been doing great, but the fruit flies has been attacking it by laying eggs in the fruits. So hatched worms have been destroying the ‘baby’ squashes before they mature. I was recommended to cover them, which helped to save some of the fruits. They started to mature…However, I have discarded close to three dozen of destroyed ‘baby’ squashes. :( Sweet pepper, tomato, carrots, parsley, pigeon peas and onions are doing well too. I am including some pictures in this posting that I took few days ago.

 Moringa nursery.
 My garden
 Tomatoes, sweet pepper and onions
 Cucumbers. The one that is in the picture I had yesterday for dinner. Yummi!
 Carrots, onions, pigeon peas... well everything mixed together:)

Fortunately or hmm… unfortunately (depends from which perspective you look at it) the rainy season arrived! Last night, around 4 am, was the first rain. I was woken up by the sound of raindrops hitting the corrugate roof and the first thunder of the year. Half asleep I could not resist to open the door and to watch the heavy downpour. It means that today there is no need for watering the garden. No pulling numerous buckets out of the well and carrying them to the garden to water the plants! Well, to be honest I quite enjoy fetching water (jibyoo) which is a way of exercising the core muscles, but after the back injury a week ago it has become a torture. Anyway, I also learned that tomorrow (insha Allah) we will get the tap in our compound which is long overdue. The tap will be connected to the city’s water supply system and we will be able to use water from it for watering the garden, washing clothes, bathing, cooking and drinking. Although, the women of my family do not show it, I know that they are very happy to finally have the water supply at home. Insha Allah!

No comments:

Post a Comment