Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Garden – II (March 27th)


The goal for today, Sunday, was to prepare the beds in my new garden plot for the planting which was accomplished with lots of help from my family! In the morning I heard someone hoeing in my garden plot. My host sister, Sona, was making that noise! I collected my tools and ran to join her but my host mom, Sima, took a hoe from my hands and started helping her. I was left with shovel, which was not useful at all – a shovel just kept bouncing back of the dried up soil (even after watering). Anyway, I just stared at the women ‘sprinting’ through the garden. Then suddenly my host sister, Sarata, stated making the beds. Her work was interrupted by the heated group discussion on the width of the beds. In the middle of it my host father, Kebba, who is knowledgeable in farming and gardening just took a shovel and re-constructed the beds. The beds were about 1 meter in width, which did make sense to me. When the time came for the chicken poop and compost/fertilizer my host  brother, Sana, was assigned for the job. So most of the time I was just watching/supervising…
Even though I was looking to making a garden myself, I appreciated all the help and enjoy working together with my host family on it. I tried very hard to let it go and enjoy the discussion on the width of the beds, which at the end was decided by my host dad (you wonder why?). I trusted their knowledge.
Now daily watering for about 5 days and the beds will be ready for the planting. I also hope to start the tree nursery this week, planting Grapefruit, Mandarin, Moringa and Jujube. I think all that will be more than enough to keep me busy.     

No comments:

Post a Comment