Monday, March 21, 2011

First days at the village (March 19th entry)

The size of my village is in between the standard village and the city village (sort of suburb) and it can also explained by its location right on the Kombo (city area) border. I was not able to stroll the entire village, but it seems rather large. Most of the compounds have electricity and are more prosperous than the ones in the training village. By prosperous I do not mean two story house with the amenities and nice things, but a family here could afford to have a nice locally made couch with armchairs (even it is worn out and which costs more than my monthly allowance) and maybe small TV (forget about the flat screen). Most of the compounds are surrounded by tall brick walls for privacy.

Yesterday I visited alkalo (village head) and imam (village religious leader). Any stranger that come to the village to stay for some time should visit the alkalo, introduce himself/herself and bring kola nuts (must!). The alkalo by tradition is the person who started the village (or who’s family started the village). He (usually, I heard only about one woman alkalo) is responsible for land legal matters, any problems/concerns of the people in the village. He can be compared to village mayor. Alkalo is respected and listened upon by all of the people in the village. When alkalo welcomes the new comer, he/she can feel accepted and safe. The imam is the religious leader, whom also one should visit, greet and bring kola nuts. He greeted and welcomed me to the village. One should not look directly to the eyes of the elder, which I have been forgetting most of the time. Even when visiting imam I constantly had to reminded myself to look away not into his eyes.

We also went around the village with my host mom, Sima, and host brother, Sana, to meet and greet their extended family, which is VERY large. I did not even try to remember names and who is who. I hope with time, I will be able to learn their names and relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment